If Room 325 is not scheduled for library instruction or a Libraries group, the following practices will apply: UMKC-affiliated groups may schedule the room at no cost but the room is not available for non-UMKC-affiliated events. Each request will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Appropriate Uses for 325
The room may only be used by external groups for meetings, trainings, retreats, etc. if not needed by Library staff.
The room may not be used for:
- Academic instruction, unless it is University Libraries related
- Student groups
- Multiday trainings, unless requested by CFM
Room 325 has 14 tables, 28 rolling chairs, and many static chairs available for use. Maximum capacity for the room is 65 people. Capacities for various set-ups below:
- Auditorium style: 60 people
- Classroom style-front facing: 28 people
- Classroom style-pods: 42 people
Groups must complete the 325 Room Reservation Form and send the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain approval. If approved, Library Administrative staff will:
- Schedule the room
- Share the approximate number of attendees and the name of the group’s site coordinator with necessary staff
- Inform Public Services staff of the event
- Inform the group of their responsibilities
All requests will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. University Libraries cannot promise repeat scheduling for any external group.
Scheduling must be within the usual Miller Nichols Library hours (intersession scheduling would be only 8am-5pm, M-F), unless the group contracts to pay for the staffing we require to open the building when it is closed.
Your group representative should come to the Miller Nichols Library First Floor Service Desk, where a staff member will open the room for your group and direct you to any supplies you may need.
Your group is responsible for:
- Setting up the area. chairs and tables are available for your use, and the room may be divided in half, as well.
- Notifying the Library if food and/or drink will be present at the event. Library staff must be informed of the food before the event so the Cleaning Crew can give the room special attention after the event. Food/Drink must be kept inside the room during the entire event.
- Limiting all use, including registration of attendees, to 325 only. The group is encouraged to supply signs directing participants to the room at the north and south entrances, as well as on the third floor. It is suggested that the group’s staff should be positioned at the entrances and on the third floor to direct their members to the room.
- Never leaving the room unattended if it is unlocked.
- Cleaning up after the event. This includes making sure all food is out of the space and tables are clean and ready for re-use.
- Arranging for catering, including meeting and escorting food delivery personnel to the room quietly and discreetly, so as not to disturb students who are studying and working in the library.
- Arranging for A/V equipment needs. 325 is an ILE classroom with an instructor’s station available. Electrical outlets, a ceiling-mounted projector, a retractable screen, a wall-mounted whiteboard, and a phone jack are available in the room. If required, a conference call phone may be borrowed from the Administrative Office if not already reserved 2.
- Advising Miller Nichols Library Service Desk staff when the event is ended, so they can lock the room.
We appreciate your cooperation in maintaining our facilities. If for some reason your event is cancelled, please let us know so we can release the space for others to use. Please advise us quickly of any spills or damage that occurs during your meeting.
1 Note for staff: Stuart Hinds typically needs the room more during the first 1/3 of each semester; consult with both Stuart Hinds and Lindy Smith before scheduling any other time during the semester, as well. However, we will respect groups who scheduled the room far in advance and work around them.
2 When video networking services are provided, IS Multimedia Technology Services acts as liaison between the group and the Libraries. ISMTS will charge the group their fees. ISMTS will use Room 325 only if all other campus video facilities are in use.