Interlibrary Loan Policies
How do I make a request?
There are two ways to make a request:
- While you are searching in library databases, click Full Text. After signing in, your request information will automatically import into the request form.
- Login to Interlibrary Loan + Renew. You can start with a blank form for your request.
Who can use these services?
How long does it take?
- For items that qualify for email delivery, typically 35% of these requests are filled in 24 hours, 75% are filled in 48 hours, and 95% are filled within 72 hours.
- For items that must be picked up at any one of the UMKC Library locations, typcially 40% are available within 5 business days, 65% within 10 business days, and 70% are delivered in 15 business days.
How will I be notified?
- Per university policy, all Interlibrary Loan messages will be sent to your UMKC email address.
How much does it cost?
- Interlibrary loan is free to UMKC students, faculty, and staff. Members of the Guest Researcher Program: see the Guest Researcher Program Policies for fee information.
Renewals are granted at the discretion of the library that owns the material. Some items cannot be renewed. Please request renewals at least three (3) days before your due date.
To request renewals:
- Through Interlibrary Loan +Renew: Log in and click on "Checked Out Items" in the menu. Find the item you would like to renew and click "Renew."
- Through your Library Account: you can renew items you borrowed from UMKC Libraries or through the MERLIN, MOBIUS, or Prospector consortia.
Recalls, Returns, and Fines
- A recall is a shortening of your loan period issued by the lending library. Recalls can be issued at any time.
- If your item is recalled, your item is due back sooner than the original due date and cannot be renewed.
- If you still need your recalled item, contact the Interlibrary Loan department for assistance.
- Return your item(s) to either of the following UMKC Library locations: Miller Nichols Library or the Health Sciences Library.
- If you return items late or not at all, you will jeopardize your library privileges, your ability to register for classes, and your ability to obtain official transcripts after graduation. Furthermore, UMKC Libraries can face penalties when items are not returned on time to lending libraries.
- Daily late fines are not issued, but your accounts will be blocked if you do not return your items on time.
- If your item is not returned by 10 days after the due date, you will be billed for replacement costs. Some of these fees may be non-refundable.
Lending Information for Other Libraries
- Our OCLC symbol is UMK. Please refer to the OCLC Policies Directory for further details.
- Our Docline LIBID is MOUMKC. Please refer to the Docline Institutions Directory for further details.
- We accept ALA forms, IFLA forms, and emailed requests from educational, non-profit institutions.
If you are a corporate/for-profit entity without an OCLC symbol or Docline LIBID, please see our Guest Researcher Program.
To contact Interlibrary Loan, please call us at (816) 235-1586 or contact the department.