COVID-19 and the Libraries
The ground floor entrance to Miller Nichols Library is not available. Masks must be worn in the library at all times except when actively eating or drinking. The library is for individual work only; no group study is allowed. Users entering the library will be required to complete a paper form stating these guidelines. Feel free to complete the form online before coming to the library.
You must complete this form before entering the library
You can complete this form now or in person when you arrive at the library.
Request access to the School of Medicine (Health Sciences Library)
Use the Libraries Online
Library Building Access
Enter the library through an entrance to the Miller Nichols Learning Center. The ground floor library entrance is not available. To use the ground floor entrance for accessibility reasons, call (816) 235-1675 when you arrive.
Health Sciences Library access requires card swipe access to the School of Medicine Building.
Library Building Guidelines
To use the library facilities safely:
- Single study only. One person per table. One person per room. UMKC policy does not allow exceptions for roommates or family members.
- Masks are required at all times. This includes study rooms with the door closed. You may remove your mask briefly while actively eating or drinking.
- Policies are in accordance with UMKC policy. If you violate the polices while in the library you will be asked to leave the library for that day.
- Masks are required in the library at all times and must cover your mouth and nose. This includes study rooms with the door closed.
- You may remove your mask briefly while actively eating or drinking. You may not remove your mask for extended times while taking occasional bites or sips.
- Bring a water bottle; water bottle filling stations are available, but drinking fountains are not. Food and drink are allowed in the UMKC Libraries, except in the Archives and Special Collections areas.
One person per table. All seating, rooms, workstations, and other areas are for one person. UMKC policy does not allow exceptions for roommates or family members.
- Maintain 6 feet of distance from others at all times when in the library, whether you are standing or seated. Do not move furniture, including chairs.
- Service desks in the Libraries have plexiglass barriers and spacing indicators.
- Minimize your contact with surfaces by working at your chosen seat.
- Wash your hands before and after using a library computer, or table and chair.
Computer work stations and desks are arranged for 6-foot distancing between users.
- Guidelines for different spaces and technology are posted right next to them so you will know what to do.
- Restrooms and elevators on campus have instructional signs.
- Not following these policies is a violation of the University of Missouri Standard of Conduct.
- If you violate the policies while in the library you must leave the library for the day. You may return on a future day, so long as you follow the policies.
- Your actions will be reported to the Director of Student Conduct and Civility, who will determine next steps for review and sanctions.
Borrowing and Returning Library Materials
- Return library books and materials by placing them in a book return slot at the Miller Nichols Library or Health Sciences Library.
- Returned items will be quarantined for 4 days before they are removed from your account. You will not be charged late fees for the quarantine days.
- We are accepting InterLibrary Loan requests to borrow physical materials. Due to lingering COVID-19 impacts and ongoing US Postal Service delays, you should expect greater inconsistencies in service (we may not be able to get you everything you need, but we will try!) and longer delivery wait times. At this time, interlibrary loan is not a good option if you need a physical item in less than 3 weeks, but if you are working on a longer-term project, please feel free to submit your requests. Learn more.
Online Teaching Support from the Libraries
Linking to Library Resources in your Canvas Course. Place a stable link to any digital library resource (article, eBook, eBook chapter, video) in your Canvas Course with these instructions.
Purchase Request. Place requests for the Libraries to purchase eBooks for your class to use.
Request Library Instruction for your classes. Library instruction can be provided online for any course. Various instruction formats are available.
Streaming Video Request. Place requests for streaming video or media for your class to view.