Are you in an online degree program at UMKC? All services that the UMKC Libraries provide to our campus community are available in virtual or remote formats so that we can support learning, teaching, and research no matter where it takes place.
Chat with a librarian 24/7 for real-time research help.
Use the Chat with us button on any page of the library website, or in the sidebar of some library search tools, to instant message with a librarian 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.
Discover music, photographs, and other archival materials in Special Collections and Archives.
- Meet the Marr Sound Archives – home to more than 400,000 audio and audiovisual recordings focused on the American experience in recorded sound – in this video tour.
- See inside LaBudde Special Collections in this video tour. LaBudde has archival materials that focus on music, especially Kansas City Jazz, women’s and gender studies, and popular culture; it also includes rare books with a strong focus on Western Americana.
- GLAMA, the Gay and Lesbian Archive of Mid-America, collects, preserves, and makes accessible materials that reflect the histories of the LGBT communities of the Kansas City region.
- And University Archives is the official repository for UMKC records.
Join a virtual workshop.
Some of our workshops on topics like using Zotero are taught via Zoom. Find a workshop on our library calendar.
Meet with a librarian on Zoom for guidance using the library online.
Make an appointment with a librarian who will teach you how to search the library’s online catalog and databases, assist you with finding sources for a particular research project, or set you up to use Zotero, a citation management tool that saves, organizes, and cites sources.
Participate in library arts and culture programming.
Two of the library’s signature events are held virtually each year: the African American Read-In each February, and the Rainbow Read-In each June. Find an upcoming online event on the library website and register to receive the Zoom link.
Perform specialized research in your area of study using the Health Sciences Library or Music/Media Library online.
- The Health Sciences Library serves students, instructors, and researchers in Dentistry, Nursing and Health Studies, Medicine, and Pharmacy with online research databases, clinical resources, and mobile health apps.
- The Music/Media Library serves the UMKC Conservatory with research tools and online performing arts collections.
Read eBooks online or download for offline reading.
Our guide gives details for locating and reading eBooks.
Receive scanned PDF versions of print materials.
Our Interlibrary Loan department scans and electronically delivers copies of articles or book chapters from our print collections. Place a request.
Request materials from other libraries around the world.
Our Interlibrary Loan service borrows articles, books, journals, and other items from libraries. While a few items types can only be used at a library, many can be mailed to your off-campus address. Information on this process is available under Distance/Online Students.
Search for articles, books and more about any topic.
This short instructional video shows you how to find what you need.
Tour the library virtually.
Our video library tour doesn’t just show physical library spaces; it also explains some of our services and resources.