Door-side pickup starting June 8
Current UMKC students, staff, and faculty may borrow physical materials that are held at Miller Nichols Library. We are not lending technology like iPads. You must request materials a minimum of 24 hours in advance. When your items are ready, you will receive an email letting you know that they are ready to collect at the next door-side pickup time.
Pickup times: Mondays 2:30pm - 5pm and Thursdays 11:30am - 2pm
Pickup location: Miller Nichols Library north doors
Request an Item
- Find an item in the library catalog.
- Request the item through Interlibrary Loan. We are using the Interlibrary Loan system to process requests, but the item will be lent to you from the UMKC library collections.
- You will be contacted at your UMKC email when the item is ready to collect during the next door-side pickup time.
Pick up a Filled Request
- Items may be picked up during these two times: Mondays 2:30pm - 5pm and Thursdays 11:30am - 2pm
- Call 816-235-1526 when you arrive in the parking lot to the north of Miller Nichols Library and give the library worker your name and UMKC ID number.
- Wait in your car for the worker to call you back.
- The library worker will call you to let you know that your items are waiting on a cart in the foyer between the two set of double doors; the outer doors will be unlocked.
- Pick up your items!
- Due dates are August 31 and no late fees will be charged. We encourage you to keep your materials through the start of the fall semester in order to minimize trips to campus.
- If you are coming to pick up materials you may bring others back at that time and leave them in the labeled No-Contact Return bin.
- Do not use disinfectants on library books or other materials that you borrow.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I borrow technology like iPads?
No, right now we are not lending any technology, including iPads. You can borrow materials from the collections at Miller Nichols Library, including books, journals, scores, CDs, or DVDs.
Can I borrow materials from other libraries through systems like MERLIN, MOBIUS, or InterLibrary Loan?
No. At this time, we are only lending materials owned by UMKC. Many other libraries are not yet lending their materials.
Are the materials I am checking out from the library safe?
Library staff are following safety protocols, including holding all materials for a minimum of 72 hours before re-lending, but we cannot guarantee materials are free of COVID-19. We recommend you wash your hands after handling library materials. Please do not use disinfectants on library materials, as these will damage the materials. As an extra precaution, you may choose to allow your materials to sit for 72 hours before using them, as this will likely allow time for any viruses to die.
Can I come into the library building?
No, not at this time.
How long can I keep the materials?
In order to minimize trips to campus, we are making all materials due on August 31st with no late fees. Note: MOBIUS items on your account may not reflect the extended due date but may be kept until August 31st. If you have questions, please contact us at Circulation@umkc.edu or chat with us on the library website.
I have materials currently checked out. Do I need to return them?
We encourage you to keep your materials through the start of the fall semester in order to minimize trips to campus. If you are coming to borrow more materials, you may bring others back at that time and leave them in the labeled No-Contact Return bin, but you are not required to do so.
Posted: June 04, 2020