Libby Hanssen Receives 2019 Libraries' Living the Values Award
Now through March 31, 2019
Libby Hanssen is the Libraries' 2019 Living the Values Award recipient. She was notified of this award on Saturday, Feb. 9, when Dean Postlethwaite presented her with the letter from Chancellor Agrawal. The Libraries' Awards Committee (Cindy Thompson, Chair; Emily Reeb; and Gloria Tibbs) submitted library nominations for the new Living the Values Award. The description of the award reads: The Living the Values Award recognizes a staff employee that best exemplifies excellence in one or more of the University’s key values: Learning, Diversity, Integrity, Accountability, Respect and Collaboration. Nominees must have shown extraordinary adoption of one or more of the key values in a work-related situation. Each unit at UMKC has one person recieve the award each year. The Awards Committee and library colleagues noted the following reasons why Libby was deserving of this award:
- Leadership on the development of the Library Employment Orientation Handbook to enable all library employees to acquaint themselves with policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates her commitment to diversity by serving on the DEI Committee.
- She seeks equity for staff in her work with the Library Staff Forum.
- Participated in the development of the Libraries' Safe and Respectful Environment policy.
- Advocating to resolve ADA access problems, especially at MNL North entrances.
- Treating patrons and colleagues with respect.
- Highlighting diverse range of content in library materials displays and social media posts.
- Suggesting titles for the collection that include underrepresented composers and performers.
- Documented the library's arts collections and highlighted representation of diverse groups.
- Attends a variety of trainings made available to library staff.
- Collaborating with others in the library despite her weekend and evening work schedule.
Congratulations to Libby for exemplifying all that the Living the Values Award celebrates! Libby and other recipients will be honored a ceremony on Feb. 27.
Posted: February 11, 2019