Using the Collections
LaBudde Special Collections staff provide collection access (including GLAMA collections) for in-person researchers and respond to email and phone inquiries during regular department hours. Walk-ins are welcome, but appointments are strongly recommended for large research projects and in-depth reference assistance. Staff retrieve all requested material for researchers to consult on-site in designated research areas.
Tours and Instruction
We provide tours of our facilities (including the famous Robot!) for groups large and small. You can also request a tour as part of your instruction session. Please contact us ahead of time to schedule a tour. A virtual tour is also available
We offer three general types of instruction session:
- Introductory session: Teaches students the basics, like where LaBudde Special Collections is located, how to request and use the resources, and exposes the students to distinctive primary sources unique to UMKC and the Kansas City community.
- Research orientation: Provides instruction on in-depth use of LaBudde Special Collections’ finding aids, catalog, and collections. This type of session is typically tailored to a specific course subject or assignment. Our staff is available to collaborate on assignment design.
- Project based session: Offers opportunities for unique research projects ranging from building physical or digital exhibits to transcribing historic documents. These collaborations are generally longer than one class period and require advance planning with a special collections librarian.
NOTICE WARNING CONCERNING COPYRIGHT RESTRICTIONS
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be “used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research.” If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of “fair use,” that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
If you would like to request duplication services, please email us.
Basic Scanning and Copying
- You can request scans of collection materials for research and personal use.
- Staff provides limited free scanning (15-60 minutes, depending on your affiliation); larger requests are assessed a time/labor fee by the quarter hour. Fees are detailed below.
High-resolution Scanning & Image Reproductions
You can request and pay for high-quality scans of collection materials, including image reproductions, for personal or public use.
If the item has already been digitized, a per-item fee applies. If the item has not been digitized, a time/labor fee is assessed instead, based on a 30 minute minimum charge and 15 minute increments thereafter.
A public use fee may also apply. This fee is per medium of public use and each medium charged covers all items used. A medium is defined as a distinct means of communication through which content will be presented publicly, including, but not limited to: in-print, online, exhibit, film, broadcast, and performance. Paying a public use fee is not a clearance of copyright. Fees are detailed below.
Low-Resolution Image Reproductions
You can freely download scaled images in JPG file format from Digital Special Collections.
To download an image, select the far left blue button just above the image viewer. Credit us: "LaBudde Special Collections, UMKC University Libraries." This is a free and easy option if images do not need to be high quality, such as for private study or small-scale online use.
LaBudde Special Collections reserves the right to assess fees in addition to those below, such as supplies, shipping & other service charges
|Services & Fees||UM System 1 or Research/Non-profit: within KC area2||Research/Non-profit: outside KC area2||Corporate/for-profit: within KC area2||Corporate/for-profit: outside KC area2|
|Basic Scanning & Copying 3||60 min. free, then $20/hour||30 min. free, then $20/hour||15 min. free, then $40/hour||15 min. free, then $80/hour|
|High-Resolution Scanning & Image Reproductions 4||2 items free, then $10/item||$10/item||$20/item||$20/item|
|Public Use Fee 6||2 mediums free, then $25/medium||$25/medium||$100/medium||$150/medium|
2 KC area includes Jackson (MO), Johnson (KS), Clay, Wyandotte, Cass, Platte, and Leavenworth counties.
3 Scans are delivered as digital files. For paper printouts, add $5 per 25-page increment after first 25 pages.
4 Besides the per item fee, add time/labor for work over 30 minutes as well as scanning needs that require special attention, such as oversized material or rescans to upsize.
5 Time/labor is assessed by the quarter hour.
6 Public Use Fee assessed when intended use is for public/commercial mediums, including, but not limited to, in-print, online, exhibit, film, broadcast, and performance. Paying a public use fee is not a clearance of copyright.