Head of Cataloging & Metadata Management
Miller Nichols Library, 800 East 51st Street
The UMKC Libraries are seeking a collaborative individual to manage the Cataloging and Metadata Management department, to provide bibliographic access to a wide range of print and non-print formats, and to actively coordinate shared cataloging services.
The Head of Cataloging & Metadata Management is responsible for bibliographic access and maintenance of collection resources in all formats for the UMKC University Libraries, including materials for the library’s general collections, and special and distinctive collections from the Health Sciences Library, Law Library, LaBudde Special Collections, Marr Sound Archives, and Music/Media Library.
General responsibilities include the creation of original bibliographic records and authority records; management of operations involving MARC cataloging, metadata management, and catalog maintenance, processing, and preservation of physical materials; and coordination with other library departments on shared cataloging services and with the University of Missouri (MERLIN) on shared catalog-related development. This position is a non-tenure track, ranked faculty librarian appointment, has supervisory responsibilities, and reports to the Associate Dean of Special Collections and Archives.
Primary duties and responsibilities include:
- Coordinates and oversees all bibliographic access and control to a wide range of print and non-print formats through the library catalog, metadata for digital special collections projects, and physical processing and repair of print materials.
- Works collaboratively with library colleagues to establish and manage priorities for bibliographic access to the library’s general, music, and special collections.
- Provides direction and oversight to staff who perform catalog maintenance; copy cataloging of print and non-print materials; batch metadata quality control, remediation, and transformations for the digital repository; processing, finishing, and in-house repair for print materials.
- Performs original and complex cataloging for materials in a variety of languages and in all formats, conforming to national, University of Missouri (MERLIN) and local standards and guidelines.
- Performs associated name, series, and subject authority control work as necessary to maintain database integrity.
- Works with colleagues within UMKC Libraries and across the University of Missouri libraries system on shared catalog development.
- Develops and maintains local documentation on cataloging metadata standards and application guidelines; department workflows, procedures, and activities; and gathers useful resources to support department work.
- Investigates, resolves, and reports on bibliographic problems encountered and referred.
- Establishes short and long-range goals that align with the Division, Library and University goals and objectives.
- Directly supervises 1 faculty librarian and 3 staff.
The University Libraries are fully committed to equity, and creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive academic community of faculty, staff and students. We seek individuals who are committed to this goal and our core campus values of learning, diversity, integrity, accountability, respect, and collaboration.
- ALA-accredited MLS or equivalent;
- 2+ years or equivalent experience cataloging, including some experience with cataloging of special formats and/or music;
- Knowledge of RDA, AACR2, MARC, LCSH, and other metadata standards and national utilities;
- Experience with an integrated library system;
- Successful supervisory experience or successful experience managing a team;
- Ability to work independently with detailed information, to learn and adapt quickly, to maintain high level of production, to meet the changes in an information and discovery services environment;
- Demonstrated ability to work positively and productively with diverse constituencies in a dynamic environment;
- Potential to meet promotion requirements in non-tenure track appointment.
- Music degree or demonstrated knowledge of music genres.
Salary: This is a 12 month, ranked, non-tenure track faculty position. (See the Promotion and Appointments Criteria for rank specifications.) The minimum salaries for ranks are: Librarian I $48,500, Librarian II $51,000, Librarian III $56,000, and Librarian IV $63,500. Salaries are negotiable and commensurate with experience. These are minimum salaries, not ranges. UMKC offers an excellent retirement/benefits package.
Application Instructions: Application materials must be submitted online at UMKC Human Resources. Click View Jobs and search for ID '35284' to apply. Applicants must combine all application materials (personal letter of interest with accompanying curriculum vitae, and a list of 3 references) into one PDF or Microsoft Word document and upload as a resume attachment. Limit document name to 50 characters. Maximum size limit is 11MB. Do not include special characters (e.g., /, &, %, etc.).
Applications received by February 7, 2021 will be given priority consideration.
For questions about how applicants apply, please call (816) 235-1621, or if you are experiencing technical problems, please call (855) 524-0002.
You may address your cover letter to: Sandy Rodriguez, Search Committee Chair. For all inquiries about the position, please contact 816-235-1531 or email@example.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of Homeland Security of the United States of America. For more information, call the Vice Chancellor - Human Resources at 816-235-1621.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the duties and functions of this job. If you believe you may have difficulty performing any of the duties or functions of this job, please contact the Office of Affirmative Action at (816) 235-1323.
EEO IS THE LAW
To read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) please use the following links:
University's Statement on Diversity
UMKC values diversity as central to its mission as an urban-serving research university and as a driver of excellence in teaching and learning. UMKC embraces a broad spectrum of diversities, including race, ethnicity, culture, nationality, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability, linguistic ability, learning style, religion, socioeconomic and veteran status, life experiences, educational level and family structure. For more information on our diversity mission, visit the Office of Diversity and Inclusion website: http://info.umkc.edu/diversity/