The staff of the University Libraries welcomes patrons with children under the age of 16 into the library. However, to protect your children, as well as the rights and privileges of other library patrons, we ask that you observe the following guidelines and recommendations:
- Do not leave children unattended. Children under 16 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at all times. Never allow children out of your eyesight if they are under the age of 16. Please do not allow children to play on the grounds surrounding the building.
- Please remember that you are responsible for the protection and safety of your child. The library does not have adequate staff to monitor children nor, in any case, can staff act in loco parentis. The library is a potentially dangerous place for children, filled with heavy objects, electrical equipment, and power outlets. The library is open to the public and, as in any public urban place, it is not possible to identify who is entering the building or what their intent may be. In addition, please be advised that we do not have full-time security in the library. It is the parent’s responsibility to anticipate and avoid dangerous and disruptive situations.
- Library Staff may request identification to verify the age of any unaccompanied child. If the unaccompanied child does not have identification that documents his or her age, the Campus Police will be called to assist the staff in locating a parent or guardian and ensuring the safety of the child.
- Like all patrons, children are expected to use the library in a quiet, orderly manner. Please remind children not to disrupt the work and study of other library patrons or the library staff. Any disorderly patron may be asked to leave the library.
- Patrons should bring appropriate reading material from home for children. The Miller Nichols Library collects college and research library materials, unlike the public library which collects materials for K-12th grade homework support.
- Always accompany children to the restrooms. Restrooms are located on each floor and are unsupervised.
- Children under the age of 16 are allowed to use computers only when closely supervised by their parent or guardian. Parents are especially advised to supervise any child under the age of 16 in his/her use of Internet resources. Never allow young children to bang on keyboards or other hardware.
- Parents are discouraged from allowing children to handle books, periodicals, and other materials unnecessarily. If your child does accidentally damage an item, please leave the item at the circulation desk in the main lobby. Please do not allow children to browse the shelves unattended. Like all patrons, children are asked not to reshelve items: Please leave the used items on a nearby cart or table.
- With planning, both you and your children can have a safe and pleasant trip to the library. The library staff thanks you for your cooperation.