The UMKC University Libraries offers an annual research award of up to $1,000 for graduate student research initiatives with a Women’s and/or Gender Studies (WGS) focus to cover research expenses.
Martha Jane Starr Library Research Awards are open to all students, but preference will be given to a graduate student with a Women and Gender Studies focus and who is being mentored/supervised by a member of the WGS faculty. Applicants can resubmit an unsuccessful proposal one time only. Award winners must wait two years from the end of their project before applying for another Martha Jane Starr Library Research Grant.
- Download and complete the application form
- Project Abstract (no more than 250 words)
- Proposal & Budget (no more than 5 pages, double-spaced) should include:
- a detailed explanation of the research project
- a statement of how this project fits into current and future research plans
- a description of which Women and Gender Studies Collections in the UMKC Libraries Special Collections will be used to advance the research project
- a statement about the applicant’s contributions to the WGS program
- a statement about the importance of the project for the enhancement of WGS at UMKC
- a description of the anticipated outcome of the project (conference presentation, publication, etc.)
- an itemized budget, detailing expenditures and a justification for those expenditures (Note that the System per diem is $42/day [$21/day for fewer than 12 hours] within the state of Missouri and based on CONUS rates outside of Missouri. Mileage should be calculated at the university rate of $.545 per mile. More information on System reimbursement policies can be found at: http://www.umsystem.edu/ums/rules/bpm/)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Brief statement from a mentor that the project is viable and that the student is actively working on it (Note that this does not need to be a full recommendation letter).