The UMKC Libraries are hosting the 5th annual International Students Day event, and this time we are celebrating students from Vietnam!
Throughout the event there will be sampling of authentic Vietnamese foods, as well as various entertaining and interactive activities organized by the Vietnamese Students Association at UMKC.
3:00 - 3:10: Opening remarks/Welcome by Dean Bonnie Postlethwaite
3:10 - 4:00: Lecture by guest speaker and student performances
- Speaker: Leader/Head of Pho Hien temple
- Acoustic Musical Performance: “Hello Vietnam”
- Traditional Dance: Dance with ao dai (traditional clothes) and non la (traditional figure) Lion Dance
- Skit: “Banh Chung Banh Day” a famous folktale story of Vietnam
4:00 - 5:00: Break/Refreshments & Concurrent Activities
Authentic Vietnamese food samplings:
- Banh mi: Vietnamese Sandwiches (chicken, baguette bread, and veggies)
- Spring roll (Rice paper, veggies, shrimp, peanut butter/hoisin black sauce)
- Sweet potato fried with shrimp (Sweet potatoes, shrimp, fish sauce (optional))
- Che Thai: Popular Viet dessert originally from Thailand (coconut milk, tropical fruits, served with ice)
Other concurrent activities: (3:00 to 5:00pm):
- Traditional Vietnamese games
- Photo booth
- Book and DVD display
This event is aimed to promote the library as a friendly scholarly hub and home for the UMKC International Students. Sponsored by UMKC University Libraries, UMKC Friends of the Library, and the UMKC School of Law, Leon E. Bloch Law Library.