Job Opportunities at UMKC Libraries
Careers in libraries- Information on libraries and librarianship.
Health Sciences Scholarly Communications Relations Librarian
University of Missouri-Kansas City
Comprehensive research university library at America’s creative crossroads in an affordable and vibrant city, seeks candidates with energy, creativity, flexibility, and strong communication skills for the position of Health Sciences Scholarly Communications Relations Librarian in the UMKC University Libraries, Health Sciences campus.
The Health Sciences Scholarly Communications Relations Librarian provides support for research and scholarly communications for the Health Sciences and Dental Libraries and outreach/promotional services for the Dental Library. Primary responsibilities include:
- In conjunction with University Libraries’ Director of Scholarly Communications, develop and implement a scholarly communications program at the Hospital Hill Libraries.
- Provide support to faculty in retaining copyrights and understanding the use of copyrighted materials.
- Develop and deliver programs that expand the Hospital Hill Libraries’ community’s awareness of mainstream and alternative publishing and emerging scholarly expression mediums including the University’s institutional repository, MOspace; open access publishing; and copyright compliance.
- Participate in the development of data curation strategies and processes.
- Seek grant support for scholarly communications initiatives.
- Develop, promote, implement and assess Dental Library outreach efforts including services, programs, exhibits, and events to all members of the Dental Library community.
- Share with other Dental Library staff members in staffing the Reference/Main Services desk providing ready reference and circulation services.
The position reports to the Dental Librarian
UMKC exemplifies the values of education first, innovation, accountability, diversity, and collaboration.
- ALA accredited Master’s Degree in Library Science (MLS, MSLS, MLIS, etc.);
- Two years successful experience in an academic or health sciences library;
- Understanding of the information needs of faculty members, researchers, and students;
- Familiarity with the scholarly research environment;
- Knowledge of current trends in scholarly communications and the academic publishing industry;
- Leadership skills and strong vision for the future of scholarly communications and publishing trends;
- Understanding of new trends in academic libraries;
- Understanding of library outreach programs, energy to implement and maintain a library outreach program;
- Ability to develop and strengthen engagement between the Health Sciences libraries and campus community;
- Excellent oral, written, planning, and interpersonal skills;
- Evidence of professional initiative and mature judgment;
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team-based, service-oriented environment;
- Ability to work positively and productively with diverse constituencies in a dynamic environment;
- Ability to work in a collegial fashion with undergraduate, professional and graduate students, faculty, researchers, alumni and community members;
- Potential to meet promotion requirements in non-tenure track faculty appointment.
- Experience in a health sciences library, course work in health sciences, or familiarity with health sciences vocabulary and culture;
- Familiarity with current issues in copyright law and higher education;
- Experience with library outreach programs.
Salary: Competitive salary commensurate with education and experience and excellent retirement/benefits package.
Application Instructions: Application materials must be submitted online at www.umkc.edu/jobs. Applicants must combine all application materials (personal letter of interest with accompanying curriculum vitae and a list of 3 references) into one PDF or Microsoft Word document and upload as a resume attachment. Limit document name to 50 characters. Maximum size limit is 11MB. Do not include special characters (e.g., /, &, %, etc.).
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
For questions about how applicants apply, please call (816) 235-1621, or if you are experiencing technical problems, please call (855) 524-0002.
You may address your cover letter to: Marie Thompson, Chair of Search Committee. For inquiries, please contact 816-235-1531 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status. This policy shall not be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of Homeland Security of the United States of America.
All final candidates will be required to successfully pass a Criminal Background Check prior to beginning employment. Applicants who are not U.S. citizens must state their current visa and residency status.
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer
There are currently no graduate-level student positions available.