Job Opportunities at UMKC Libraries
Careers in libraries- Information on libraries and librarianship.
Head of Learning and Research Support
University of Missouri – Kansas City
Comprehensive research university library at America’s creative crossroads in an affordable and vibrant city, seeks candidates with energy, creativity, flexibility, and strong commitment to public services for the position of Head of Learning and Research Support in the UMKC University Libraries.
The Head of Learning and Research Support (LRS) in the Miller Nichols Library (MNL) provides leadership and direction for library and information literacy instruction and has primary responsibility for:
- The planning, promotion, development, delivery, and assessment of information literacy instruction
- The library liaison program for the College of Arts and Sciences; the Schools of Biological Sciences, Computing and Engineering, Education, Management; and the University College
- Coordinating the MNL research service desk
- Supervising seven librarians in the Learning and Research Support department, which also includes several graduate level student assistants.
- Collaborating closely with colleagues and faculty to achieve and assess information literacy learning outcomes.
- Serving as liaison for a designated subject area and assumes primary responsibility related to this subject area, including library instruction, specialized research service, and collection development.
- As part of the Public Services Division and its Leadership Team, promoting the development and evaluation of division programs and policies in support of the UMKC and University Libraries missions.
The position reports to the Director of Public Services.UMKC exemplifies the values of education first, innovation, accountability, diversity, and collaboration. UMKC holds a firm commitment to engage and lead the larger community in a variety of ways appropriate to its status as a forward-thinking cultural, intellectual and educational center. The UMKC Miller Nichols Library is in the midst of expansion and renovation that will enhance student learning with collaborative learning spaces and innovative technologies.
- ALA accredited Master's Degree in Library Science (MLS, MSLS, MLIS, etc.)
- 5 years of successful and progressively responsible experience in an academic or research library;
- Experience planning, designing, implementing, assessing and enhancing information literacy initiatives;
- Evidence of excellent leadership skills and strong vision for the future of public services;
- Excellent oral, written, planning, and interpersonal skills;
- Successful managerial, supervisory, and/or mentorship experience;
- Ability to work positively and productively with diverse constituencies in a dynamic environment;
- Understanding of undergraduate student needs and learning styles;
- Understanding of the needs of scholars and familiarity with the scholarly research environment;
- Demonstrated computer and technology literacy skills;
- Knowledge of one or more online Content Management or Learning Management systems;
- Understanding of trends in academic libraries;
- Ability to work in a collegial fashion with undergraduate and graduate students, faculty, researchers, alumni and community members;
- Evidence of professional initiative and mature judgment;
- Potential to meet promotion requirements in non-tenure track faculty appointment.
- Additional graduate or professional degree;
- Experience with project management, including planning, communication, and assessment;
- Experience in an urban, academic environment.
Salary: Competitive salary commensurate with education and experience and excellent retirement/benefits package.
Application Instructions: Application materials must be submitted online at www.umkc.edu/jobs. Applicants must combine all application materials (personal letter of interest with accompanying curriculum vitae and a list of 3 references) into one PDF or Microsoft Word document and upload as a resume attachment. Limit document name to 50 characters. Maximum size limit is 11MB. Do not include special characters (e.g., /, &, %, etc.).
Applications received by March 27, 2015 will receive priority consideration.
For questions about how applicants apply, please call (816) 235-1621, or if you are experiencing technical problems, please call (855) 524-0002.
You may address your cover letter to: Cindy Thompson, Chair of Search Committee. For inquiries, please contact 816-235-1531 or email@example.com
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status. This policy shall not be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of Homeland Security of the United States of America.
All final candidates will be required to successfully pass a Criminal Background Check prior to beginning employment. Applicants who are not U.S. citizens must state their current visa and residency status.
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer
The University of Missouri - Kansas City is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution.