Using Your Library iPad
Through the generosity of members of the Friends of the Libraries and other donors, Miller Nichols Library is making iPads available for checkout to UMKC students, faculty, and staff. iPads can be checked out from the Miller Nichols Library First Floor Service Desk for 7 days (with no renewals). Please check the library catalog for availability or to place an iPad on hold.
In order to check out an iPad, you will need to sign an iPad Checkout Agreement with the Library and have an Apple ID, which is the standard login for all Apple products. Upon returning the iPad to the library, the device will be completely wiped of all personal information. If you want to check out an iPad again later, you will need to go through the first steps of the setup process each time, but you will not need to set up your Apple ID again.
Answers to common questions about using library iPads are provided below. For help, please call (816) 235-1526 or stop by the First Floor Service Desk in the Miller Nichols Library.
Setting up the iPad
- Turn on the power, which is located on the top right edge.
- Slide your finger over slide to set up to begin.
- Choose your preferred language.
- Choose United States as your country.
- Select UMKCWPA as your network if on campus, or your home wifi or other wifi network if off campus.
- If you selected UMKCWPA enter your Single Sign On, then tap Join in the upper right corner.
- On the Certificate screen, tap Trust in the upper right corner.
- Tap Enable Location Services.
- When it asks for your credentials, enter your Single Sign On, then tap Next.
- This step is optional. Touch ID secures the device through fingerprint identification. If you don't want to set that up, you may tap Set Up Touch ID Later to continue setup.
- To Create a Passcode, enter 4 or more characters, and tap Next in the upper right corner. Note: you will need to remember this code to unlock the screen when you turn on the device or after it times out to protect your privacy.
- On the next screen, re-enter your passcode, then tap Next.
- Tap Get Started.
- Within a few minutes you will see an App Installation prompt. Tap Sign In to proceed.
Remember: You must have an Apple ID before proceeding.
- Select Use Existing Apple ID.
- Tap Sign In.
- Enter your ID and password as prompted.
- Select Use Existing Apple ID.
- Fill in your Apple ID and tap OK.
You are now signed in to the iPad and you will be able to access your personal apps in the App Store as well as apps that are already preloaded on the iPad. Swipe left from the main screen to see a folder with free apps you may want to use to conduct research and to see a link to the library website with FAQ and helpful hints.
Note: When you open the Mail app, you will be prompted for your UMKC email password.
What apps are included on the iPad?
The first screen on the iPad presents a number of Apple apps for general use, including
|App Store – find and download apps to the iPad|
|Mail – check your email|
|Safari – browse the web|
|Settings – adjust settings and connect to a wifi network|
Swiping the screen to the left will take you to the App Catalog folder, which lists some apps to help you use the library iPad for your classes. The App Catalog includes:
|Adobe Reader – read eJournal articles and other PDF documents|
|BrowZine – browse library eJournals|
|Bluefire Reader – read eBooks|
Simply tap the Install button to install the needed app on the iPad.
How do I take a screenshot?
Hold down both the home and on/off button at the same time. You can then find your screenshot in the Photos app.
How do I read a journal article on the iPad?
Many online articles can be read on the web through Safari. Most journal websites will also let you download a PDF of the article. Clicking “Open in” in the upper right corner will provide you with the options to download the article, depending on which apps you have installed on the iPad. A good app for reading PDFs is Adobe Acrobat, listed as Adobe Reader in the App Catalog.
How do I read an eBook on the iPad?
Many library eBooks can be read on the web through Safari or can be downloaded through an eBook app such as Bluefire reader. Bluefire Reader is a good app for downloading and reading library eBooks and you should install this from the App Catalog before attempting to download an eBook. You will also need to have a free Adobe ID to read most library eBooks. Many eBooks will allow you to download select pages or a chapter as a PDF document, which you can read through a PDF app such as Adobe Reader.
Can I print from the iPad?
If you wish to print a document or file stored within the apps on the iPad, you will need to save your document elsewhere (see suggestions below) and print it from another device. You cannot print directly from the iPad.
How do I save stuff on the iPad?
Documents and other files are generally stored within the apps on the iPad and will need to be saved somewhere else prior to returning the iPad if you wish to keep them. Below are some options to do this:
|Box – Box offers free personal storage on the web. Faculty and staff have free Box accounts through UMKC. Install the free Box app to the iPad to save documents to your Box on the web.|
|Dropbox – Dropbox works much like Box. Sign up for a free account and install the Dropbox app to save documents.|
|Email – many apps will allow you to send something via email. For example, you can easily email a PDF article to yourself or someone else.|
|iCloud – iCloud is Apple’s web storage service. You can easily set up iCloud through your Apple ID. You can activate iCloud in the Settings app on the iPad.|
|OneDrive – OneDrive is Microsoft’s web storage service. Create a free account and install the OneDrive app from iTunes to use this service on the iPad.|
How can I remove my personal information/apps from the iPad?
When you return the iPad to Miller Nichols Library, it will be completely wiped for the next patron, but you can wipe it yourself by following these simply steps:
- Open the Settings app.
- Select General.
- Scroll down and select Reset.
- Select Erase All Content and Settings.
- Enter your Passcode.
- Select Erase and then Erase again.
Who do I call for help?
Please call 816-235-1526 or stop by the First Floor Service Desk in the Miller Nichols Library.