UMKC Friends of the Library is a group of volunteers and donors dedicated to supporting and strengthening the UMKC University Libraries. To accomplish this goal the Friends work to increase public awareness about the Libraries and their importance in the community, and to enhance the Libraries' collections, programs, facilities, and services through financial support. Since our founding in 1965, we have provided hundreds of thousands of dollars in funding for the collections of UMKC's Dental, Health Sciences, Miller Nichols, and Music/Media Libraries, through our annual gift and through the individual gifts and bequests made by our generous members.
What do the Friends of the Library Do?
- Fund the purchase of library collections and various resources for use by students, faculty, and the community. This is accomplished through our Annual Gift to the UMKC University Libraries.
- Fund an annual scholarship open to all degree seeking UMKC students at all levels and disciplines. Read the award-winning essay from the 2017 FOL scholarship recipient, Claire Wolber.
- Sponsor programs of wide interest that contribute to the cultural life of the city. To learn more about Friends programming like the portFOLio series and other library events, please send us your contact information.
- Encourage an awareness of the importance of a strong university library to the prosperity of the community.
- Encourage gifts, endowments, and bequests to the Libraries to memorialize or honor individuals, and to build services and collections.
- Partner with the UMKC Libraries to position the Dental, Health Sciences, Miller Nichols, and Music/Media Libraries for the future.
Support the Friends of the Library
- Checks made payable to UMKC Friends of the Library may be mailed to:
UMKC Office of Gift Processing
112 Administrative Center
5115 Oak Street
Kansas City, MO 64112