Guest Computer Use Guidelines
The Miller Nichols Library welcomes guests to use our computers and has established guidelines for guest user computer access which does not prevent our primary clientele, UMKC students, faculty, and staff, from needed computer access.
- Only workstations in the center aisle of the first floor are available to guests.
- Guests may ask for a guest login at the first floor Service Desk at any time up to 30 minutes before closing.
- Guests may be logged in when at least five workstations on the first floor are available.
- Guests will be required to show a photo ID each time they request to be logged on to a Miller Nichols Library computer.
- Acceptable forms of ID include a driver’s license, state issued ID card, U.S. Military ID card, passport, or college/university ID.
- The date, time, your name, and type of ID will be logged and kept in a locked filing cabinet for up to two weeks, at which point all records will be destroyed.
- Patrons under 16 years old will not be logged in unless closely supervised by their parent or guardian.
Guests and UMKC users are requested to respect others in the library by treating computer equipment appropriately, limiting noise, and keeping phone calls, conversations and audio at a respectful level. Guest users are asked not to change hardware and software settings.
- Guest users are limited to one logon with a maximum of 2 hours’ use per day.
- Computers log off automatically after 2 hours, with a 5-minute warning.
- When UMKC faculty, students, or staff are waiting for computers, guest users will be asked to relinquish computer work-stations.
- Computers automatically log off after 20 minutes of inactivity.
Guest users have access to the Internet and the Library’s databases. Internet access and software may be available at area public libraries.
Printing is available for a fee.
If you have extensive research needs for using library databases, or any questions or concerns, please ask at the First Floor Service Desk.
We thank you for your cooperation in our efforts to serve the UMKC community.